Bariatric Surgery (Weight Loss Treatment) is a procedure performed on people who are obese. This is performed in individuals who have obesity related conditions such as diabetes, increased cholesterol levels, impaired glucose tolerance,high BP etc. Bariatric surgical procedures cause weight loss by restricting the amount of food the stomach can hold or by a combination of both gastric restriction and malabsorption. Most weight loss surgeries today are performed using minimally invasive techniques, through laparoscopic surgery. There are many types of weight-loss surgery, Gastric bypass is one of the most common types of bariatric surgery. Each type has its own pros and cons.
Some of the important factors we look into, when we suggest a bariatric surgeon to you include:
- Should have done his super-specialization to perform Bariatric surgery
- Should have at least 10 years or more years of experience
- Should be a Board certified surgeon
- Should be a member of International Association of Bariatric Surgery
- Should not have a case of malpractice against him
- Should be Fluent in English
- Should have good Bed side manners
What are the most common Weight loss surgery procedures?