Dr Mohamed Rela
About Dr Mohamed Rela
- MBBS,MS,FRCS,DSc(Honoris causa)
- Chairman and Director, Dr Rela Institute and Medical Centre, India; Professor-Liver Surgery and Transplantation, King's College Hospital, London
- Prof. Mohamed Rela worked in various hospitals in UK before joining London’s King’s College Hospital in 1991, where he continues to be the Professor of liver surgery.
- Niche areas of liver transplantation like auxiliary transplantation, split liver transplantation techniques and live donor liver transplantation were pioneered by him at the King’s College for the world to emulate, and scores of patients to benefit.
- In a glittering career over 3 decades, Prof. Rela has performed over 4,500 liver transplants, including one on a five-day-old baby, earning him an entry into the Guinness Book of Records in 2000. Two decades later, the baby is now a budding lawyer, and the reunion of the recipient and her surgeon stands testimony to the durability and success of paediatric liver transplantation.
- Prof Rela is also a busy hepatobiliary surgeon, performing Whipple’s surgery for pancreatic cancer, liver resections for Cholangiocarcinoma and HCC resection in Cirrhotic patients.
- His research interest includes the field of clinical liver transplantation, translational studies into liver regeneration and liver preservation.
- He has over 600 publications in peer-reviewed journals.
- In March 1999, he carried out the first living related liver transplant on a patient with acute liver failure in UK. 18-month- old baby, was given just 48 hours to live before the operation.
- In June 2003, he successfully performed a liver transplant for a four-and-a-half-year-old girl suffering from a terminal stage liver disease, at the Global Hospital, Hyderabad.
- In August 2003, he was a part of a team from King's College Hospital, London which did liver transplant(s) six times for a patient to save her life by performing a bone marrow transplant.
- In August 2004, a team led by him has successfully conducted the liver transplantation for a five-year-old girl at the Global Hospital, Hyderabad.
- In September 2009, a team led by Prof Rela successfully performed the split liver transplantation (first of its kind in India), at the Global Hospital, Chennai. The liver was split during the retrieval operation into a smaller left lobe for transplanting a young girl and a larger right lobe for transplanting an older woman with end stage liver disease.
- In May 2011, a team led by him successfully performed Swap liver transplantation on Adults (first of its kind in India), at Global Hospitals & Health City, Chennai.
- Prof. Rela has been voted as one of the “20 Most Innovative Paediatric Surgeons Alive” and the only liver surgeon in India with over 600 Scientific Publications.
- Fellowships / Memberships- BMA: British Medical Association, RSM: Royal Society of Medicine, BTS: British Transplantation Society, ILTS: International Liver Transplant Society, AUGIS: Association of Upper GI Surgeons of Great Britain, ESOT: European Society of Organ Transplantation, BASL: British Association of Study of the Liver.
Liver transplantation- Deceased donor and Living donor, Split Liver Transplantation, Auxiliary Liver Transplantation, Resection for HCC, Cholangio Carcinoma, Paediatric liver Transplantation Hepatoblastoma Pancreaticoduodenectomy, Whipple's Surgery for Pancreatic Cancer.